Page2 Filling out Form TD1 Fill out this form only if any of the following apply: • you have a new employer or payer and you will receive salary, wages, commissions, pensions, employment insurance benefits, or any other remuneration • you want to change amounts you previously claimed (for example, the number of your eligible dependants has changed) • you want to claim the deduction for living in a prescribed zone • you want to increase the amount of tax deducted at source Sign and date it, and give it to your employer or payer. If you do not fill out Form TD1, your employer or payer will deduct taxes after allowing the basic personal amount only.
If you are unsure of your residency status, call the international tax and non-resident enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281.
Reduction in tax deductions You can ask to have less tax deducted on your income tax and benefit return if you are eligible for deductions or non-refundable tax credits that are not listed on this form (for example, periodic contributions to a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), child care or employment expenses, charitable donations, and tuition and education amounts carried forward from the previous year). To make this request, fill out Form T1213, Request to Reduce Tax Deductions at Source, to get a letter of authority from your tax services office. Give the letter of authority to your employer or payer. You do not need a letter of authority if your employer deducts RRSP contributions from your salary. Forms and publications To get our forms and publications, go to or call 1-800-959-5525. Personal information (including the SIN) is collected for the purposes of the administration or enforcement of the Income Tax Act and related programs and activities including administering tax, benefits, audit, compliance, and collection. The information collected may be used or disclosed for purposes of other federal acts that provide for the imposition and collection of a tax or duty. It may also be disclosed to other federal, provincial, territorial or foreign government institutions to the extent authorized by law. Failure to provide this information may result in interest payable, penalties or other actions. Under the Privacy Act, individuals have the right to access their personal information, request correction, or file a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada regarding the handling of the individual’s personal information. Refer to Personal Information Bank CRA PPU 120 on Info Source at